Thursday, August 26, 2010

Literary Feast Invitation: I Am Number Four

Hello again, few but dear readers.

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)I'm sorry it's been so long between posts.  But I was distracted.  By a mother-daughter road trip.  And by Mockingjay.  And by how I would be a bad daughter for ignoring The Mother on the mother-daughter road trip by reading Mockingjay instead of paying attention to The Mother or all of the pretty places she was attempting to drive me to see.

I did manage to find the fine balance between looking up and saying "ooh" from time to time, acknowledging The Mother's existence AND reading Mockingjay.  It was difficult work.

But that's not actually why I'm blogging.

Since I am a little less distracted now, Monica and I would like to invite all-ya-few-alls to our next book tour.

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)We will be reading I Am Number Four, a YA sci-fi story of alien superheroes.  And I do love me my alien superheroes, FBDR.

The blurb on the dust jacket is as follows:

Nine of us came here.  We look like you.  We talk like you.  We live among you.  But we are not you.  We can do things you dream of doing.  We have powers you dream of having.  We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen.  We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books--but we are real.


Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them.  But they found us and started hunting us first.  Now all of us are running.  Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in.  We have lived among you without you knowing.


But they know.


They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.


I am Number four.


I am next.

(to which my response is, "Way to count."  My understanding from the movie Contact was that aliens would be STELLAR at math.)

I kid.  I kid.

Also on the book jacket, Michael Bay (director of transformers) has called Number Four "a hero for this generation."  I do wonder about about Mr. Bay's knowledge of YA literature and I do have to question his judgement...I have sat through Transformers:  Revenge of the Fallen.  But I won't let that stop me.

I kid some more.

I am greatly interested in this book's premise.  And so was monica after I typed the winning combination of "sci-fi..superhero...alien...DEATH!"

Monica and I will have comments posted for you on Monday of the first eight chapters.

Hope to see you back here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails