Thursday, May 20, 2010

Literary Feast Discussion: Incarceron (pp. 225-304)

Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1)Hey kids! Welcome back! I'm glad to see most of you have managed to fight your way through the web of Incarceron (web? tunnels? caverns?) and make it safely here. Ready to join in as we discuss chapters 18-23? Let's go!

Shel: So, after this forced heart-to-heart, do you find the warden more relatable? I can't help but think he's still playing his beloved game of chess.

Monica: He seems sketchy. Perhaps the years of being Warden have twisted him into a shell of his former self, and way deep down there’s a kind, loving father trying to get out… but I still don’t trust him.

Shel: I think he was most likely a bit twisty to begin with. Finn asking for the background story of the cave feels very forced. Kind of like, "for all you readers at home" kind of moment.

Monica: OMG! I totally agree. To be honest, it’s the first time that the narrative stuttered – I’ve been enjoying this book so much so far, that I definitely noticed this scene. (Isn’t that sad? That the iffy parts are so much more noticeable in good books, because they stand out more?)

Shel: I know, right? It's like the curse of the good writer. Well, I got my wish about Incarceron becoming more of a character. I guess I'm just glad it recycles.

Monica: Right, but it recycles PEOPLE! It’s very soylent-green-ish. I’m not sure I approve. But, I suppose when you’re a crazed sentient jail who has been left all on your lonesome for umpteen years, you make do with what you’ve got.

Shel: Of course, a prison must be frugal! How convenient that they discovered that the keys can make you invisible to surveillance. Just in time!

Monica: I’m waiting for the keys to develop more magical powers. If you twist the top clockwise, it simulates bird songs! You can inflate one end to make a zeppelin! It doubles as a coffee-maker! It’s a LIGHTSABER!!

Shel: That would be pretty awesome. How do I get me one of 'em keys? I could use it to help keep my students interested in class! If they participate they get to see a lights show while sipping lattes and listening to a gaggle of geese's rendition of Row, row, row your boat.

All right, friends -- that's all Shel and I have for you today.
Join us on... Tuesday? Yes, let's say Tuesday. Join us on Tuesday for a discussion of pages 305-364. It'll be epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails