Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New ALA Banned Book Lists

Within the past several days (week-ish?), the lists of most challenged books have been updated on the American Library Association's (ALA's) website.

Not only is the new 2009 list up, but there's now a listing for the 2000-2009 decade.

Call me a nerd, but I am super excited about this.  Since the only decade previously complied was 1990-1999, for the first time I'll be able to compare lists.  (YAYZ!!!!) But what's more, there were also some books in unexpected spots in the rankings.

This is causing me to also feel more than a wee-bit disoriented.

And Tango Makes ThreeNow I have to do some re-learning.  Like how And Tango Makes Three was number one on the yearly list for the last three years.  Not so for 2009.  It is number two.  The TTYL series has stolen it's spot.  (But still, I can't help but wonder if ALA makes any consideration for whether a number of books that make up a series are being challenged individually, meaning the series over all challenged numbers would be higher than a stand alone book like Tango.  Anyone, anyone, have an answer?)

I was also surprised by the number of classics on the 2009 list.  But it was kind of exciting to see Twilight there (number five, my friends).

For the 2000-2009 decade, it probably won't surprise anyone that Harry Potter took number one.  Anyone surprised, anyone?

Is anyone else out there reeling from the changes or am I alone in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails