Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reading Posters Worthy of Mockery: The Jonas Brothers

I received an email this morning announcing in the subject line that "The Jonas Brothers Are Here!!!!!OMG!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  

Okay, I'll admit it.  I added the exclamation points and OMG YAY! above.  But the sentiment was there and I found that I had to open the email IMMEDIATELY, knowing that my life would never be the same.  So, I hope you don't mind that I put the poster right at the top.  I didn't really give you the time to prepare yourself for the sight of teenage heartthrobs holding books.  I hope you didn't have a heart attack.  Still alive?

The ALA website tells me that they're reading Words from the Wise, The Alchemyst and A Wrinkle in Time.  To which I respond "Yay for quotes, fantasy and sci-fi!  Joy!"  And then I mumble that I haven't read two of those books, which limits my ability to mock.  I can say that choosing a classic such as A Wrinkle in Time written by a Christian author as a selection does not surprise me given the image the Jonas Brothers try to have in the media.

While I will admit that I have seen Camp Rock, all that my brain can actually seem to remember about the brothers is that one is named Joe (don't ask me which one) and that they're virgins.  Thank you pop culture, for making those facts take up space in my brain.

I suppose you are witnessing my transition from "a cool young thing" who knows all about popular culture into a fuddy-duddy who squints as she tries to decipher "kids today".  Clearly, I need to pick up The Alchemyst and find my way to immortality.  I think that's about the only thing that can save me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails