Saturday, May 26, 2012

REVIEW: Insurgent Audio Book Review

Pretty cover!
Roth, V.  (2012).  Insurgent.  New York:  Harper Audio.

11 hours and 22 minutes.

So, as is obvious in my review of the first novel in this series, Divergent, I wasn't too crazy about the world of this story and was ready to set it aside and ignore it for the rest of my life.

But then, one of my Awesome YA Reading students got hooked on the series.  Now she's threatening to hold her breath until I read Insurgent so we can discuss it.

Le sigh.  I'd hate for one of my former students to pass-out on my account.




Appetizer:  Picking up soon after Divergent ends, Tris, her brother, Four and several others must seek safety from the erudite among the different factions of the city.  This proves easier said than done as many believe that Four and Tris contributed to many of the horrors that occurred at the end of Divergent.  Together, they must deal with the aftermath of all they have experienced and prevent the situation from worsening.

Wow, that was vague!  But I had to be...I didn't want to give away the events of Divergent.

To be honest, I actually liked Insurgent much more than the first book in this series.  In this book, all of the risk-taking was necessary, so I didn't have to shout "Lawsuit!" at random moments when I just couldn't believe the ridiculousness of some of Tris's reckless decisions.  (In the second book, Four actually calls her on some of these behaviors.  Good for you, boy toy!)

I also like that much of the book deals with the consequences and guilt of some of what Tris experienced.  This series went from being so-so to thoughtful.

Alas, to understand what's going on, you *still* have to read Divergent first.

Thoughts about Emma Galvin's Audio Reading:  No complaints here!  Galvin spoke clearly in a way that allowed Roth's characters to come to life without being distracting or preventing me from getting into the story.


Tasty Rating:  !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails