Saturday, July 31, 2010

A (Very!) Random Update

Hello, few but beloved readers!

I thought it was time for a (very!) random update. Right now, I'm enjoying my longest break of the year, that one time when instead of the usual one or two weeks off from teaching I get a whole SIX weeks off!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!

Do you feel the excitement?

!!

I had been dragging since the end of winter quarter (a whole 16 weeks ago!), so I desperately need the time to regroup.

And I've been spending that time very wisely.

If "very wisely" can mean "very poorly and in a slacker-ly manner.

Mostly, I've been reading a few books intended for adults. *gasp*

Do not fear though, some of them have crossover potential.

The Girl with the Dragon TattooAfter seeing the movie, I'm going through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. (Yes, I finally jumped on that Swedish bandwagon.)

(Monica Comment: Seriously, Shel, it took you long enough. You were pretty much the last person in America to pick the book up.....)

And I have to say, I'm not fond of the cover. At all. But then, yellow and brown have always been my least favorite on the cover spectrum.

But nonetheless, with this getting distracted by grown-up people's literature, I may be a little post/review light for a couple of weeks.

Maybe.

Of course, this break would also be an excellent time to work on that pesky Dudley-Dissertation thingy. But I have to say, I had so much fun avoiding it in July, I just might have to avoid working on it for another month or so. Won't that make my committee happy? (Actually, I doubt they'll care.)

Or perhaps Dudley would be willing to write itself. Dudley, how would you feel about that?

.
.
.

*Poke. Poke*

Alas, Dudley still seems incapable of...anything. Guess I'll have to do all the work.

But that's what September is for, yes?

In the meantime, I will be heading back to my parents' home for a few weeks in the hopes that my mother will do my laundry for me and that my dad will make me cups of coffee. That's what parents are supposed to do for their adult children, right?

But in the meantime, MEANTIME, I have to clean my place before the parents arrive to judge me and my lack of housekeeping abilities. Of course, I've been thinking about finally cleaning for about a week and a half. My thought process usually begins with, "I'll clean later today." That turns into, "I'll clean tomorrow!" And THAT turns into, "Wasn't there a study recently published about how household cleaning products can cause cancer? I think there was." And THEN THAT turns into, "My cat has a freaky tendency to sniff out any freshly disinfected surface and roll on it. She also does this in dirty cat litter. I think because she likes the hide-the-stink-perfume smell. So, as long as she lives, anything I clean immediately becomes cat-fected. So, I may as well not give her reason to roll on my table." And THEN AND THEN I think, "Someday, there will be cleaning robots. I can wait for those, because the cat will be afraid of them. I'm sure." And THEN AND THEN AND THEN I think about how, "those robots might rebel against humanity and my house-cleaning robot would be their leader. Since I will have had to wait a very long time to be able to afford my house-cleaning robot, so my house will be extra messy, angering my robot to the point of inciting rebellion."

And then finally, I get so confused over whether or not I'm pro or anti-cleaning that I just decided to watch a couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica. Because that is my proof that the machines HAVE REBELLED BEFORE and what was shall be again!

And then I crash after imbibing too much caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails