Sunday, August 30, 2009

Certified Resolution Writing Endeavor Review Report: Week Thirty-Five

I am particularly exhausted today. I spent two nights this week being an extra in a movie. My motivation for doing this was mainly boredom and the fact that I can now wander around and inform people that "Yeah, I was an extra in a movie once...."

The most interesting parts were the other extras I got to meet. So many of the people there were networking. And it wasn't just for acting. A man was doing magic tricks. A woman was doing portraits of the other extras. (She actually managed to get the attention of a few members of the crew who thought she might be able to help with story-boarding on other projects). Observing these people pass out their cards, describing the various projects they've worked on, their previous roles, etc. proved to be a nice break from playing poker with skittles and "would you rather..." with my friend.

I, on the other hand, did not attempt to network. I have trouble with the whole idea. Something about trying to sell yourself...actually feels like selling yourself. Or being overly prideful (which in my case always results in me fulling on my face--usually literally). As a quiet person, I prefer to direct the topic of conversation to others instead of myself. And as a person who expresses myself better on paper, I prefer writing letters or emails instead of actual speaking in front of a group or over the phone.

My biggest steps in social networking have been this blog and my twitter account. And this blog has become less about my sad attempt at selling myself and more about recording all the children's books I've been reading. I remember the details and themes of a text so much better when I blog about it. Plus, instead of doing pathetic google searches for books "I read that one time...by that one dude...about that one thing...." I can now look through my archives and find my exact thoughts on a book and the tensions it deals with.

And as for Twitter, well, I don't feel I'm really making connections. Instead, I feel like I'm eavesdropping on all the conversations the popular kids are having, while trying to act cool, but silently wishing one of them would invite me over. So high school. And good fodder for writing about teenage angst.

So, what's the point of this post? What am I trying to say? Well...

Did I ever write to you about the time I was an extra in a movie?

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to be able to say that, so good for you! Maybe it will come in handy someday at a party...

    I also wanted to thank you for the Edward wall cut-out post; I was literally rolling on the ground from your commentary! Thanks for the laughs and great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails