Friday, November 12, 2010

Literary Feast Discussion: Sisters Red (The End!)

Okay, so I don't even remember when I said we'd post our final comments.  How late are we?

Sigh.

I wish I had a good excuse...but I don't.

Check out our final thoughts about Jackson Pearce's Sisters Red.  Keep in mind, spoilers abound.  Read at your own risk!


Shel: And Silas is back in the running for being evil-bad-guy. Color me completely unsurprised. I KNEW IT! *Spikes the football or whatever and does a victory dance*

Monica: I’m not sure if you can do a victory dance if you were totally unsurprised… you should definitely fake a little bit of “OMG, I can’t believe it! I cannot believe that my totally unsubstantiated and wild and crazy thought could POSSIBLY come true!!” And then do the dance. With jazz hands.

Shel: I'm all about the jazz hands. Rosie's tendency to forget her knives is really starting to annoy me. At this point I think the wolves should get a decent bit in. Does that make me mean? I feel mean.

Monica: It is not mean at all. I do not even hunt the Fenris, and I am armed both with pepper spray and a tiny key that transforms into a jackknife. At all times.

Shel: Good point. I have pepper spray, a rape whistle AND I hold my keys like claws when I walk. We are some fierce ladies. No! Not the hair! Not Rosie's dark and beautiful hair!

Monica: But now, she’s all savage! She’s got her hair hacked away, and she’s setting fires, and she has an eye patch and EVERYTHING! I’m liking her quite a bit more now, actually. She should have gotten kidnapped *ages* ago.

Shel: I really do like all of the references to The Allegory of the Cave. And I really like the way the ending has come together. It's distracting me from the fact that in this world, all men seems to be vicious girl-devouring monsters.

Monica: I’m… I’m still having a problem with that actually. No lie. I am really enjoying the book, and I think it’s smart and well-written, but I cannot get over the fact that there are almost no redeemable male characters. They’re all either dangerous, or totally have the potential to be dangerous. (Or they’re awesome and playing the drums in the subway. Hot subway drummer! Call me!)

Shel: I hear you there. After the drummer calls, I 'm going to insist on a performance in my living room. So, what happens in another seven years?

Monica: I am pushing for them to rent a hot air balloon and remain airborne for the entirety of the month. Yes? Yes.

Shel: What's your overall rating?

Monica: I give it a solid 8 out of 10. Like I said, it was well-written and interesting. I’m madly in love with the cover. And I think it’s a cool update of the original story. But the entire time I was reading, I kept thinking, “Dang, author. Did you have a bad breakup and never got over it? Not all men are animals!” It sort of… overshadowed my reading experience. What about you?

Shel: Apparently a companion novel Sweetly is coming out soon. It's a modern retelling of Hansel and Gretel? Will you pick it up?

Monica: Sure! That one has a female character as the villain. ;)

Shel: Great, so now I'm going to have to fear all men AND old ladies. I'll have nobody left!


Okay, cool cats and hot dogs, that ends this literary feast.  We'd love to see your thoughts and opinions of Sisters Red in the comments.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails