Thursday, August 5, 2010

REVIEW: Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?

Back to the romantic comedies!  After reading Hate List I needed some fluff.  And the Georgia Nicolson series is fluffier than a pink princess prom dress.

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 10)Rennison, L.  (2009).  Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?  New York:  HarperCollins Children's Books.

296 pages.


Appetizer:  My friends, we have reached the end!  The very last of Georgia Nicolson's diary confessions.  (But let's be honest here, that girl was trouble.  Can you imagine her college years?  If Rennison wanted to write some adult books, she could begin with Georgia at some crazy, hazy college party where she's just offered a goat a lick of her drink.  And then after college, Georgia would grow up to be Bridget Jones.)

So, where was I?  Yes...introducing the plot.  Well, the book pretty much picks up where the last one left off (and where was that?  Don't remember.)  Apparently Georgia was dancing a little too close-close with Dave the Laugh, causing Masimo, the (then-current) boyfriend to storm off and potentially become the not-so-current boyfriend.

So, ATMBISBM? begins with Georgia once again on the rack uncertain about love.  Masimo sends Georgia a letter, recommending she take a week to think about their relationship and decide if she's ready to be in a mature relationship.  Georgia decides to become more mature, but not even her best friends think she can manage it.  And even with her efforts, Georgia can't help but want a laugh with her mate Dave the Laugh.

I laughed out loud a handful of times as I was reading Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?  Which was pretty much my goal in picking this book.  So, mission accomplished.

But I was also surprised that I found myself getting a little annoyed with Georgia as I was reading.  Through most of the book, she seems to avoid making decisions about which guy to choose.  I wanted her to take control and actually make the decision about who she wanted sooner.

But I couldn't fault her too much, because I also decided to think about my personal experiences with le love this year in high school and I remember on a few occasions when I decided to delay a break-up or two because I was afraid of hurting that not-for-me-after-all-guy's feelings.

But having said that, the end of the series was satisfying with Georgia ending up with the guy that I'd figured was right for her somewhere around book two, three or four.  (Although, I do have to say the ending was abrupt.  And excepting a few wise words from on of Georgia's pals about friendships and youth, it very much feels like the series could just venture forth into another book.)

But, alas, that is not the case.  The series has ended.  And crud, kiddies, does that make me feel old.  I still remember all the way back to the first book when something called a "cassette" was mentioned.  It is a true mark of my age that I know what that is.

Now maybe I'll finally finish the 39 clues series next.


Dinner Conversation:


"One minute, I am the girlfriend of a Luuurve God, skipping around like a Sex Kitty on kitty-kat tablets and the next minute I am at Poo College in Pooford.  Doing a degree in poonosity and merde" (p. 1).

"She [Mum] said, "Hang on a minutes, what are you doing here?"
I said, "Er, I live here."
She said, "You were supposed to be staying at Jas's though."
"Well...she was a bit...tired."
"You fell out then?"
"Maybe."
"What did you do to upset her?"
Oh, that's nice, isn't it?  Nice and supportive" (p. 5).

"What is the point of parents?  They wonder why the youth of today goes wrong.  If they would merely give us what we wanted and keep away from us, all would be well....
Instead of Mum just lending me her black Chanel stilettos and everything being nice and easy, I am now going to have to sneak into her wardrobe, smuggle them out in my bag, wear them, sneak back into her room and replace them.
They force us into a life of crime" (p. 92).

"Gor blimey, Mum and her mates talk WUBBISH.  I am glad that me and my mates are not so superficial.  They are just talking about men and clothes and men.
I can just dollydaydream about my boyfriend and what I will wear when I next see him" (p. 151).


Tasty Rating:  !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails